Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Success?

Disclaimer: yet again, this is not prideful.

I've accomplished many things in my short 21 years of life (yes, I'm saying 21 even though I technically still have a month and a half); many of them are things that the average 20 year old wouldn't even consider: I've performed in Carnegie Hall, the Jefferson Memorial, the Washington, D.C. temple visitor's center, the De Jong Concert Hall (BYU), the Libby Gardner Hall (U of U), the Assembly Hall on Temple Square, and on the Tabernacle Organ in Salt Lake City, not to mention countless chapels and homes throughout the Intermountain West; I was one of the best choir presidents that Box Elder High School has ever seen and one of the principal accompanists in a community that produces the top musicians in the State of Utah; I was BYU's "Freshman of the Year" and served as the president of the second largest student-run organization on campus; I've read the entire 1st book of Nephi in Spanish; heck, at one point in my life I had two stake callings and two ward callings.

So how can someone who has "accomplished" so much actually accomplished so little? I'm a junior in college and I've never officially declared a major, I'm having to take out a loan to pay for school, I don't focus on my schoolwork as much as I should, and I hate writing bids. Sometimes I feel like I'm broken- I see everybody else around me devote most of their time to studying and their major, and they always seem to end up with As and -As. Then there's me, who is perfectly content with a B, maybe a +B (or sometimes a +C). I'll probably end up with some dead-end job and look back on my life, saying, "a lot of good that did you."

The End.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, you need to snap out of this, pronto, buddy. This is not okay. I honestly believe that the job you get does not depend on how many A's you got. It does depend on all of the accomplishments you've made! No one will ever know, or ever care for that matter, that you haven't declared a major yet despite the fact that you've been in school for three years. I think most people would find that respectable since most people who declare early end up changing it at least three times (which you've done without having to go through the process of it all). People who dedicate time only to their studies and their majors without doing any extracurricular activities or devoting some part of themselves to something else, will never make it out on top. Truly! They won't have anything to put on their resumes.
    You will be just fine, I promise, but only if you change your attitude around. You need to cut Negative Nancy out of your life and start to see the positive side again because quite frankly, I hate the negative Skyler.

    ReplyDelete