Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Life of a Conference Assistant

Well, my co-workers have been bugging me to drag my dusty (short lived) blog out of the closet, and so I'm dusting off the old online journal and giving it another shot. Plus, after applying for every scholarship available, forwarding every last lost letter, checking Facebook a million times, and practicing early arrival check-ins for hours, working the front desk at Helaman Halls can get kind of boring. So what do I have to lose? Even if nobody ends up reading this, at least I will feel productive.
My co-workers are great. I feel as if we have been best friends for years, even though in reality it has been a month. I guess in a way we are a family, since so much of our time is spent together; we eat together, we work together, and we play together. I feel very comfortable around them and it's refreshing to be able to act myself. I have also had intimate (not sexual) conversations with many of them and I feel like that has drawn me that much closer to them.
We all have such different personalities, but they're different in the kind of way that makes us a whole, like puzzle pieces coming together to make a bigger picture. It's been interesting to notice the different strengths that every person has brought to the group. We have comedians, hard workers, the compassionates, optomistics... everyone has something to offer. And when one of us is absent for a period of time (whether it be hours or weeks), it feels as if a part of us is missing. We are a Conference Assistant dreamteam and I marvel at the wisdom of those who assembled us. It's my constant prayer that we will remain thus.
The work aspect of my job has been interesting; not quite what I expected, but definitely not bad. So far my work has consisted mainly of front desk shifts, "roving" the currently occupied buildings, and completing projects to get ready for this fall. The worst part has definitely been doing "building inventories," or as I like to call it, "I'm-pulling-my-hair-out-of -my-eyeballs-I'm-so-bored!" For building inventories, we have to go through each room at Helaman Halls and make note of ANY damages in the room. ANY! It's extremely meticulous and takes so much time. But that part of my life is almost over. I have, however, enjoyed all of the parts of the job that has involved physical labor. I really miss working hard and it's been nice to actually use my muscles.
Well, it looks like my desk shift is over. I'll be back soon with more updates of my life!!

3 comments:

  1. i love this skyler! i totally think you're right about how each ca has something to bring to the table--that's definitely why we work so well as a group. was happy to see this post come up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. I'm the comedienne!
    B. I love you.
    C. A lot.
    D. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad this is going well for you, Skyler!

    ReplyDelete